Ms. Howell’s 4th Grade Class
January 16, 2015
Mrs. King, our Assistant Principal, had to come and have a discussion with all of Fourth grade this week regarding following directions and behavior. We have noticed that we are needing to repeat directions several times before all students follow them. This is not just a problem in the regular classroom setting, but has also been noticed at lunch and by specials teachers. This cuts into our teaching time and prevents us from being able to cover all topics and integrate more exciting and hands on lessons and activities. It also is very unfair to the students who are ready to learn, participate, and are on task. Students must be able to control their talking and listen and follow directions given by any adult in the building the first time. Please be sure and have a discussion with your child about this.
Please remember that Monday, January 19th is a student and staff holiday for Martin Luther King Day. I hope that you have a wonderful long weekend with your children!
Below are just a few reminders/notes for the week:
- There is information from Ms. Grant regarding 4th grade students singing the “Star Spangled Banner” at the Gwinnett Gladiators game on Friday, February 6th.
- The Media Center January bookmark is due Friday, January 30th. (It is was in last week’s Friday folder)
- BINGO Night is Friday, January 23rd from 6:00-8:00 at Burnette. Please send in the order form by Wednesday, January 21st.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed forms were included in last week’s Friday folder. If your child would like to qualify for a free ticket to Six Flags, please complete the form (minutes read for reading bookmark count here too!). Students need to read and log a total of 6 hours. Forms need to be completed and returned by February 25th.
- The GA Young Author’s competition is coming up soon. Students may submit any of their original work to be entered into the contest. Deadline for entries to be received is January 28th. All entries should be returned to Ms. Howell.
School Wide Information
- Monday, January 19th: MLK Holiday; No school
- Wednesday, January 21st: School wide Spelling Bee
- Friday, January 23rd: BINGO Night
- Thursday, January 29th: STEM Night
- Friday, January 30th: All Pro Dad’s Breakfast
Next Week at a Glance
Reading – Constructed Response Questions/Answers
Writing/Grammar – Informational Writing
Word Study –Unit 3 Review: telephoto, peruse, telegram, automatic, transparent, interrupt, pervasive, translate, interpersonal, autograph
Fry Words: industry, instead, interesting, iron, itself
Social Studies – Begin Government Unit
Science –Force, Motion, and Simple Machines vocabulary and Test Wednesday, January 28th
9:00 Group Multiplying Fractions Test Monday, January 27th
12:45 Group Fractions-Equivalent and Compare
Thursday – Art
Friday – Music