Ms. Howell’s 4th Grade Class
October 10, 2014
We have officially ended the first nine weeks of school. I have enjoyed getting to know each of your children and look forward to learning even more with them this year! I want to thank all of you for your help and support as we work together to help your child have a successful year in 4th grade!
As we move through the next 9 weeks of school, please be sure to check your child’s agenda and homework folder nightly in order to ensure that they have completed all of their homework. Please make sure that you follow up and review homework with them. Homework is always a review of what we have learned in class.
Also, go ahead and start studying for science and social studies tests as soon as we begin each unit. We glue and/or staple the study guides into their journals for math and science. The students can bring their journals home nightly as long as they return it to school the next day. You can also obtain a copy on my blog at : http://howell4bes.blogspot.com/ There is a lot of information and vocabulary in which your child is expected to know for these tests, so the sooner they start studying the better J
Below are just a few reminders/notes that you will find in the Friday folder:
- On Wednesday we had the opportunity to hear author Carmen Deedy. She is an amazing story teller!! In the Friday folder is a book order form if your child would like to purchase one of her books. Order forms are due by October 24th.
- Thank you for your support of our fundraising efforts. We look forward to new swings on the playground very soon!
- Continue to work on completing the October fitness calendar
Changes in 4th Grade Schedule
Beginning on Tuesday, the 4th grade will have some changes in their schedule:
- 9:00 – 10:30 Reading-ELA Group 1/Math-Word Study Group 1
- 10:30 – 11:30 Science or Social Studies. We will begin doing a 4 ½ week split. Students in Reading-ELA Group 1 will do social studies for the first 4 ½ weeks of the nine weeks. Students in Math-Word Study Group 1 will do science. At the end of the 4 ½ weeks, students will switch.
- 11:30 – 12:40 – Lunch/TDPE
- 12:45 – 2:15 Reading-ELA Group 2/Math-Word Study Group 2
- 2:25-3:15 Specials
- 3:20 Dismissal
It is our hope as a 4th grade team that these changes will help lessen the transition on the students and also allow students to focus on one topic in science/social studies.
Electronic Devices for Reading From Ms. Tone
Students have enjoyed reading from their electronic devices this week. I e-mailed a copy of the release form if you have not already completed one. I will also attach a copy to my website (http://msheathertone.blogspot.com) that you can access. If you are unsure if you have completed the release form, or you need a new release form to complete, please let me know.
School Wide Information
Monday, October 13th: Columbus Day Student Holiday
Thursday, October 16th: Chick-fil-A Spirit Night
Friday, October 17th: Report Cards
Next Week at a Glance
Reading – Review reading interim; Greek Mythology and Short Answer Strategies
Writing/Grammar – Quotations and Punctuation
Word Study –No Word Study Next Week
Social Studies- Begin Colonization Unit with Reading-ELA Group 1 for 4 ½ weeks
Science – Begin Solar System Unit with Math-Word Study Group 1 for 4 ½ weeks
Math – 9:00 Class Multiplication (2 digit by 1 digit; 3 digit by 1 digit; 4 digit by 1 digit; 2 digit by 2 digit using equations, arrays, and area models)
10:30 Class Multiplication (factors, multiples, prime, composite, divisibility rules)
Tuesday – Music
Thursday – PE
Friday – PE